Tuesday 15 July 2008

Fridge - Happiness

Text Records TEXT002LP. 2001


This is one of those records that any of us, with access to some basic sampling and sequencing software, a few basic instruments, a modicum of musical ability and a smattering of ideas could have made.

But we didn't. They did. And it's lovely. Every track is crafted from the simplest of elements, looped and layered to sickeningly luscious effect.

I'll even forgive them the inclusion of a small child's drivelling input on track 5. Why do people do that? Yes, you love your kid and isn't it cute. Listen, they're trying to say daddy. Well, yes, you find it cute but everyone else wants you to come back when they can actually say daddy. And get their round in. I get my fill of people struggling to form words between 10pm-midnight most Saturdays, and I don't often have to wipe their arses. I'll tolerate kid shit when necessary (The Kids by Lou Reed - ok, I see why we need it here. Carry on. I won't mention Pink Floyd's The Wall as that's just shit).

For future reference, in case you need it, this album is the exact length for making a soya mince-based veggie chilli and doing Sunday and Monday's washing up (excluding cleaning the hob - I've had enough).

No comments: