Monday 22 September 2008

Godflesh - Pure

Earache MOSH32CD. 1992


The first 20 seconds of Avalance Master Song on Godflesh (1988) won me over. I saw them tour with God shortly after, and they were great. (I'm pretty sure Kevin Martin spent the entire God set cupping one hand to his ear and furiously pointing to a monitor. Really, the entire set.) I was inspired to buy a drum machine. I wish I could remember what kind it was. I stood in the tiny electronics department of (I think) Rock City in Newcastle, where I'd previously bought myself a Charvel Model 1 pointy headstock rock guitar, and said to the guy 'Will it go 'du-dum, du-dum, du-dum-du.... du... du'', mimicking those first few bars. He assured me it would, so I spent my cash. I think I sold it to NF a few years later, who it turned out had owned it before me. Bizarre.

I digress. I lost interest in GF with this release. Instead of the relentless, sludgy dirge they'd spewed out previously, they got a bit melodic here. Some of the riffs even sound a bit bluesy-rock. I'd put that down to the new presence of Robert Hampson (Loop) in the line-up, but a quick look at the track-list would indicate otherwise. He doesn't play on the rockity ones.

The production sounds a bit weak to me. Doesn't hurt the head like it should. Never mind.

No comments: