Monday 29 September 2008

Steve Gibbons - Short Stories / Stained Glass (2xCD)

Road Goes On Forever Records. RGF/SGDCD048. 2001


This is the first time I've listened to either of these disks. I only have this as I did the artwork for the CD reissue.

Short Stories - 1971. I wouldn't know what to describe this as. Dull. Mainstream. Nondescript RnB. Early seventies twaddle. There's nothing actually wrong with it, it just doesn't have anything at all on here that grabs my attention. Albert Lee plays on it, if that's any help.

Stained Glass - 1996. More mainstream nothingness. All of the above. His voice veers between Man Who Sold The World-era Bowie and seventies Dylan. I don't know how you can fail with Tom Waits' Looking for the heart of Saturday night, but he does.

Not for me. Sorry Steve. Cracking artwork though!

No comments: