Friday 18 April 2008

Art of Noise - Daft

ZTT ZCID Q2. 1987


I fell in love with sampling when I heard Close (to the edit) while still at school. Oh, to be let loose with a Fairlight at the time.

A lot of this seems a bit cheesy today, but was amazing at the time. There are some moments of true musical genius on this: the slow, quiet section in the middle of A Time for Fear (Who's Afraid), Love (which sounds like it could be on a Throbbing Gristle album), Snapshot and the classic Close (to the edit).

When I first started messing around with sampling, having bought a 1.2 second guitar delay/sampling pedal, I used the start of Memento on the end of my first ever track as Sex For Ollie, Faucal Dirge. It was pretty primitive 4-track portastudio stuff, but there was a glorious moment of happy coincidence involved in making it which makes me smile to this day.

Of course some of it is just truly horrible to listen to, The Army Now being of particular note.

Everyone should hear this.

No comments: