Tuesday 29 April 2008

Butthole Surfers - Psychic, Powerless... Another Man's Sac (+ Creamed Corn from the Socket of Davis ep)

Fundamental SAVE55CD. 1985


I couldn't find anything but the reissue cover online, so here's a photo of mine.

I used to hang around Volume Records in Newcastle on a Saturday, which is where most of my late 80s musical education came from. I'd peruse the weird and wonderful slabs in racks and pick stuff up that seemed randomly interesting. One day I picked up Butthole Surfers' self titled debut (also known as Brown reason to live or Pee-pee the sailor) and got one of the staff to play it. Epiphany moment. I handed over the cash, and IH grabbed Psychic, Powerless at the same time. We took them home, dutifully taped our purchase for the other, and never looked back.

It wasn't until years later I realised I'd been listening to Psychic... back to front. IH had taped side B first, and that's how I always listened to it when I bought the vinyl a couple of months later. It just doesn't work the other way round. Lady Sniff was born to be an album opener. The closing clangs and feedback of Butthole Surfer were surely always meant to close the record. Try it that way round - it makes so much more sense.

I just played a few tracks from this (Gary Floyd, Cherub, Moving to Florida) live in a one-off BS tribute band The Cherubs. T'was at the Cluny, Newcastle, at the Bad Houses club night, December 31st 2007. You could even watch this dodgy video of our rendition of Cherub. I'm the handsome guitarist on the right of the screen.



Creamed Corn ep is champion as well.

Buy this. Now.

No comments: