Wednesday 30 April 2008

Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven

Touch and Go T&GLP29CD. 1988


The last great BS record.

I have fond memories of sitting in my very blue living room with FGC and CP, all full of psychedelics (I think it was CP's first trip). We had this on the turntable, and we're on the floor around the cover, taking turns poking it. We had a collective hallucination that it was acting like rubber or liquid (hard to remember exactly), ripping and waving with each poke. A good night.

A couple of years later I became a bit friendly with a girl I kept seeing at the Riverside Club. She wanted a bit of education in the finer points of obscure music (which this was at the time), so I said I'd do her a couple of tapes. A laborious, real-time process in pre-mp3 days, you kids. I wanted to include a couple of tracks from this and Locust, but when I played the vinyl they sounded a bit flat and worn. Played to death. I must have felt a bit financially flush at the time as I went and bought the both of them on CD just to make the tape.

No comments: