Friday 25 April 2008

Beme Seed - Lights Unfold

Rough Trade 157-1198-2. 1990


I bought this on the strength of Kathleen (the singer) being the naked dancer for the Butthole Surfers.

Now for me, a fundamental requirement of being a singer is at least a vague idea of what singing is, or a style so out-there that it transcends our understanding of musical form and melody.

Ms Lynch has neither. Tuneless whining. I'd rather listen to menstruation.

The music is no better. A sad attempt at psychedelia that leaves a bitter taste in the ears.

Ooh, someone's in a mood today! That's what a week off the booze does for you.

1 comment:

eilivk said...

I find it a bit erratic, sometimes painful, sometimes beautiful. Reminds me of the 60's with an 80's touch. It grows a little each time. But not all the tracks... One track reminds me of Bardo Pond, another of Siouxsie. An unfinished experiment?
Hope to find more by this group.