Tuesday 29 April 2008

B.A.L.L. - (Four) hardball

Shimmy Disc Europe SDE9018/CD. 1990


I liked the lo-fi, slack ethos of Shimmy Disc. It fit with my inherent laziness and my inability to fully master any instruments (due to just not being all that arsed), remaining a cack-handed guitar hacker to this day.

I was never a big fan of Don Fleming's guitar work though. Too many twiddly solo bits. Take those out and this rocks. Not as good as earlier stuff such as Bird (that's in the vinyl section), but enjoyable none the less.

I saw B.A.L.L. at Newcastle Riverside club many years ago, and they were great live. I have memories of two Kramer incidents at gigs, and can't remember which was when. Well, let's say this one was the B.A.L.L. gig - Kramer was dragged into the crowd and had his t-shirt ripped off by all us weirdo freaks. The bulk of it is stuffed into the sleeve of Bongwater - Double Bummer under those shelves over there. I should maybe check that out - who knows what breeds in Kramer sweat over the course of 17 years.

Honourable mention for drummer Jay Spiegel - he's pretty good, though badly recorded and mixed on the bulk of this disc.

No comments: