Tuesday 15 April 2008

Daevid Allen and Kramer - Who's Afraid?

Shimmy Disc. 1992


My introduction to shimmy disc records was Bongwater's 'Breaking no new ground' 12", specifically 'Ride My Sea Saw', a jaw dropping version of the moody blues song. i was gobsmacked and in love. Kramer was a god to me for a while. An alchemist of the mixing desk. All was good. I eventually bought this and wanted to kill his tits. What a load of fucking hippy drivel. Tonight is the first time I've listened to this disk start to finish as Allen's voice makes my balls hang around somewhere in my ribcage. It's also the first time I've listened to it with the CD cover close to hand, and realised I've been sold the wrong disk. What I have is Daevid Allen's 'Twelve Selves', which doesn't involve Kramer at all. Of course I'm now going to have to get hold of the disk that's meant to occupy this cover (damn you, inept second hand record shops), and set thing right. I'm pretty sure I got hold of this around the same time Jad Fair stayed at my house after a band I played in supported half japanese. Someone else in the band mentioned that Kramer had recently had relations with jad's wife, and all wasn't well there. Jad seemed kind of low while we drank tea and he made excuses for not being around to see my band's set. Sorry for thinking you were shit beyond the last shockabilly album i bought, mr kramer. You have one more chance. x.

[edit] - i was full of red wine and port while writing the above. sorry if it makes less sense than it might have done.

No comments: