Friday 30 May 2008

The Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur

Ninja Tune ZENCD122. 2007


Completely different from previous releases. Completely.

Here we lose the soundtrack-esque structure in favour of a more song-based album. And it works beautifully.

We still get the nu-jazz, but less of it. In steps a big chunk of soul. They've got a chap called Patrick Watson on board, who's vocals are utterly enchanting, and that's not something I say very often (or I'd likely get a good kicking around Newcastle). The first track, To Build A Home, is just him singing and playing piano, and it's a throat/lump moment for me. I'm just a big softy really.

Even Fontella Bass's vocals seem to have gone through some kind of transformation on here. I normally find her quite annoying, but here she actually makes a couple of the tracks.

One of the finest albums of 2007.

No comments: