Wednesday 21 May 2008

Codeine - The White Birch

Sub Pop SPCD118/299. 1994


I notice my copy of Frigid Stars is missing. Spoilt my night, that has. Only Man U and Chelsea both failing to score in normal, extra time, penalties and sudden death penalties for the next 3 days shall unfurrow my brow.

Codeine - kings of slllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Think Low, Mogwai, Slint, flick them down to 33rpm and you're there. But to my knowledge, these guys started the whole thing.

Sparse, melancholic strumming and picking eventually give way to powerful, wrought, angst-ridden sections of anger and confusion. I can just imagine Steve Immerwahr wringing his hands, rocking back and forth at his desk, before jotting down the latest lament and smudging it with his tears.

Oh, and Dave Grubbs plays on a couple of tracks, but he seems to get everywhere.

Absolutely fucking awesome (sorry, but the fucking was absolutely fucking necessary).

No comments: