Thursday 22 May 2008

The Coctails - Live at Lounge AX, Chicago

Carrot Top Records SAKI-013. 1996


If it takes more than 3 minutes of various Google searches to pull something up, it's a good sign that it may be a bit obscure. The only reference I can find to this is on the record label's website (go there and buy some Cocktails stuff).

I initially picked this up in a second hand shop because it had a typically jazz cover. Closer inspection showed some young guys, one of which was playing a saw with a bow. Here's my money, thank you.

This is a recording of their last ever gig. Studio quality, crystal clear. It's hard to describe them, as musically they leap all over the place, but their wikipedia entry probably sums it up - loungecore / garage jazz. Fun and freaky, I'd say. Archer Prewitt is now The Sea and Cake (on Thrilljockey). The label's website reveals that several of their records were produced by Bob Weston from Shellac. Can't be bad.

If I lost this I'd buy it again.

[edit - the reason it wasn't doing much in Google was because I spelt it wrong - no K in it. oops]

No comments: