Thursday 22 May 2008

Clotaire K - Lebanese

Nocturne / Sub Culture NTCD325. 2003


I took Clotaire K on a UK tour back in October 2004, along with Nass El Ghiwane, dj/Rupture and Nettle. What a bunch of really nice guys. It was a fun week, mostly. I had the radio on in the minibus driving from Newcastle to London when they announced John Peel was dead. The mood in the van took a solemn tone.

These guys totally rock out live, really put on a good show. It doesn't quite do it for me in the studio. It all works on paper - a blend of French hip-hop and arabic instrumentation, with raps in French, Arabic and English. It's just a bit too clean and over-produced. 

See them live if you can.

I still haven't bought an oud, which I've been meaning to do since the tour. And if anyone knows what Gigu is, let me know. That's the nickname the band gave me, and they assured me they weren't taking the piss.

No comments: