Thursday 22 May 2008

Current 93 - Nature Unveiled

Durtro 009CD. 1992 (1984)


David Tibet gets on my nerves most of the time. His nasally attempts at 'singing' on his folky stuff make my teeth itch. He ruined the recent Nurse With Wound gig at Queens Hall, London (for me, anyway) with his squeaky nonsense and pixie prancing. Consequently, I'm not what you'd call a fan of Current 93.

I do like the soundscape stuff though. I wonder how much of this is actually down to Mr T, as Steven Stapleton is credited throughout. Only the first two tracks are from the original vinyl release, so this is value for money as we get eight tracks. John Balance from Coil turns up on a couple.

The original tracks are very dark. You certainly couldn't call them ambient. Not the obvious choice if sitting in a dimly lit room, off it on mushrooms. In fact, I can't really think of an appropriate situation for listening to this. It demands too much attention for background music.

Difficult.

No comments: