Thursday 22 May 2008

Coil - Scatology

Force and Form FFKCD1. 1986 (1984)


I was about to get the black sun (bottom of the cover there) tattooed on the opposite shoulderblade to my Einstürzende Neubauten tat, when someone pointed out it was an arsehole. I just never twigged before that. This was before I got this CD, where it's kind of obvious. It's a different cover to the vinyl.

Useless fact: Aqua Regis and Restless Day are listed the wrong way round on the cover.

This album, though good, is blighted by a lot of 80's sounds. I can hardly bare to listen to Panic, with Clint Ruin's drum programming. The non-beatsy tracks (the majority) are thankfully a bit more timeless. At the heart of it all, with Thrower's gentle then forceful clarinet, could be a contemporary soundtrack piece. I think I sampled Aqua Regis on a Sex For Ollie track.

This issue is topped off with their version of Tainted Love which is, slow, massive and so damn sleazy-sounding, even with the 80's synth sounds.

A delicious piece of Coil's history.

No comments: