Friday 30 May 2008

Deee-Lite - World Clique

Elektra 7559-60957-2. 1990


The video for Groove is in the heart was on the telly in the gym on Tuesday. There I was, a fat man on a mission, pedalling away, when I was given a new subject to ponder - was Lady Miss Kier actually all that nice? Sure, she had some crazy sexy outfits, and her jerky, top-half-going-one-way-bottom-half-the-other podium dancing was quite saucy, but she was a bit gawky looking. For some reason I can no longer remember, I found myself at Shindig (a Newcastle dance club night) back around 90/91. There was some stupid bint who thought she was LMK, just standing at the side of the dancefloor, venturing on every now and then for a, literally, 10 second bout of low-energy shuffling with an attitude face on, before scampering off again lest she break a sweat.

Back to the music. This album sucks. It's 1990 house, cliché dance cack and general toss-away stuff. I'm sure without the image and GIITH this would have sold zero copies. LMK can't sing either.

I used the wobbly lip bit from GIITH ('one, two, three, blublublblblbl') as part of the intro to a Random Felch track - 'Whipped product of a Random Felch'.

The only tracks that aren't utter shite: Groove is in the heart, What is love, Build The Bridge

No comments: